Monday, March 17

Howard O. Jones and Liberia?



I had the amazing pleasure of listening to Howard Jones speak at a prayer meeting at the end of February. Along with being a great pastor and jazz musician, this man was the first African American to work on Billy Graham's team, starting in 1958. Among all the historical achievements, he is just adorable! It was cool watching him speak, he reminded me of my grandfather, so simple and honest with a great sense of humor.
I wrote down some things he said during our prayer meeting...

Memorable quotes by Howard O. Jones

"We need more of our people who know how to get into the fire without exploding."
"Martin [Luther King Jr.] never gave you an anwser right away, he always thought about it for a long time first"
"To speak well, you have to think well"
"The Holy Spirit reveals things"

Something he said directly to me after he signed my book:
"Go to Liberia, your life will be changed forever"

It was so cool to met this guy...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU'RE GOING TO LIBERIA!?!??! I have friends in Seattle who lived there for 4 years, and they would love to meet you.

myooks said...

Yo. Did you know that his son David Jones attends my church?! Well, in fact they both attend my church now because Howard is living with his son. Cool, huh?! What a legend.